1 kg beef marrow and knuckle bones or you can also use chicken bones/joints and carcass for the collagen
½ cup raw apple cider vinegar
Enough water to cover the bones and vegetables – leaving 2cm from the top of the slow cooker
3 celery stalks, halved
3 small carrots, halved
3 onions, quartered (keep skin on)
½ cabbage sliced up
Handful of fresh parsley
2-3 garlic cloves
Addition ingredients to make an Asian stock:
5 Star anise
1 tsp turmeric powder or 1 – 2 inches fresh
3 thick slices of ginger
1 tsp chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
SLOW COOKER METHOD
- Place bones into a slow cooker, add apple cider vinegar and water, and let the mixture sit overnight in the fridge allowing the vinegar to leach the minerals out of the bones.
- The next day, add in the veg and spices. Turn on slow cooker, setting it to low. Let it cook for at least 12hrs, I cook mine altogether for 24hrs.
- After 8hrs of cooking, take out the chicken joints and remove the meat. Put the bones back in for the rest of the cooking time, placing the cooked meat on a side plate until the broth is made. You can then add the meat back in at the end of cooking
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, throw in a handful of fresh parsley for added flavor and minerals and if you are using soy sauce for a Chinese flavour.
- Let the broth cool and strain it, making sure all marrow is knocked out of the bones and into the broth.
- Add sea salt to taste and drink the broth as is or store in fridge up to 4days or freezer up to 6 months for use in soups or stews.